Monday, September 1, 2008

First Blog: What am I thinking?

Here I am…stepping into the world of online blogging, adding a little more white noise to the oversaturated online world. For anyone who knows me, I’ve never been particularly shy with my opinions on any number of different topics, which makes the entire idea of blogging just enticing enough to be dangerous.

As of the moment, I’m planning on this blog being primarily focused on issues that come up in my professional work. As a secondary educator, I am in profession which allows teachers little to no “voice” within the system. Thinking outside the box tends to be discouraged, yet those “outside” contrarian thoughts are what I’m most interested in discussing. To clarify, too often (in any of our professions) we view things in parts rather than as whole systems. As such, what I do as a Band Conductor is related in not so distant ways to all other aspects of society. So I’ll probably touch on my other intellectual passions, politics and religion, as well, with the view that life can’t be compartmentalized, and I don't want to limit myself or others to a single topic. If others are interested in joining the discussion, great! Otherwise writing can be therapeutic in and of itself!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see that you stopped updating after three posts! While they were few, I found your blog to be more thoughtful than a good majority of the ones out there, seeking traffic, rather than insight and commentary of quality.

However, I am aware of the fact that this time of the year must be hectic for a band director or any teacher, and updating would seem impossible.

At any rate, I will be subscribing to your RSS feed and looking forward to more of your posts! It would be a pity to have such brilliant thoughts locked away to yourself.

Band Conductor said...

Thanks for your kind comments! Yes, things do get hectic in the fall. I'm hoping to start being more consistent going into the spring term...we'll se what happens!